Here are 5 ways to get yourself prepared to purchase a home in your 20s.
1. Build YourCredit - Do you know what your credit score is? Have you started the process to monitor your credit history? Visit freecreditreport.com to pull your free credit report which you can do each year to get an update on where you stand. If you do not have credit, apply for a credit card and start to make small purchases in order to start building your credit worthiness.
Here's a great link for more tips on how to boost your credit score.
2. Create aSavings Account - Open up a separate checking account with no access to it and write yourself checks and mail it to that bank. Even if it's $50 biweekly it will add up and you will be ready for that 3% down purchase of your first home.
3. Visit Neighborhoods of Interest - Hit up a Farmer's Market in the neighborhood of your choice after you have brunch at the most reviewed spot on Yelp.
4. Where Are Your Friends Moving? Talk with your friends and learn about the areas they are moving to. What do they like about the area? Is it close to all your life's interests? Could they live with you to cut mortgage costs?
5. Find a trusted realtor - Learn about the home buying process and talk with a mortgage pro. With this duo you will be glad you accomplished 1-4 so you are more than ready to buy your first home.
Always remember that a home is the best investment you can make in your 20s!
We are very excited to present SPACE & COMPANY, a boutique real estate brokerage dedicated to re-thinking real estate in Center City, Philadelphia. Our business model, characterized by a commitment to our local community, green living and technology, provides a unique perspective for our clients and agents. Educating our agents on quickly changing market trends and supporting their use of the latest technological tools is a priority.
At SPACE & COMPANY we continue to embrace our forward thinking, results-oriented marketing. Things have changed drastically for the real estate industry in the past few years. Given this, we are not content to provide the status quo – we will continue to strive to be a step ahead, offering creative solutions that speak for themselves.